Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sexy Video of the Week



Can somebody say "Fuckin Fly"! How 'bout "Super Sexy"! Try "Undeniably Hot"! I can't say how excited I am about Rihanna's new video for her 3rd single "Rude Boy" off that Rated R album. After watching that video here's a Declaration with a capital 'D': "Rihanna is a certified bad-bitch!"

I am so pleased to see that she is invoking her island roots with her attitude and movement. I almost forgot for a minute why I supported Rihanna in the first place, but this video is a reminder - she's an island girl. From her oily whining to her playful undertone; she is a real well-travelled, high-fashion, island girl. The video was directed by Melina Matsoukas who is also the one calling the shots for Alicia Keys' and Beyonce's new video in Brazil. She was responsible for Beyonce's "Diva," Ciara's "Work" and Robin Thicke's recent "Sex Therapy." And these are just a crack in her repertoire. She is of Cuban-Jamaican-Greek-Jewish descent, and her multi-cultural background is certainly evident in her work. This video is so retro Caribbean; reminiscent of the Jamaican dancehall queen in the session of her life. It's a collage of so many of the images that identify Caribbean culture from the ice, gold and green color scheme to the various shots of the Lion of Judah. Not to mention that gold studded body-suit and those killa' batti riders Rihanna is rockin'.

The track itself is super groovy summoning the Jamaican Dub/Reggae of the late 80's and 90's. Dubs that I have whined my waist and bogled my body to as a youngsta from artists like Patra, Lady Saw, Cutty Ranks, Supa Cat and of course Shabba Ranks. I can still here "Uno get mi hot, Uno get mi hot, Uno get mi wicked wicked...." in my head like it was last night. The song is well-produced by Stargate and equally well-written by Ester Dean. The Bajan starlet's vocals are clean and on point. Altogether, visually and audibly...i can dig it.

Besides, anybody who bogles in her video has got my vote...

Here's what I remember when I watch this video. In many ways Rihanna is kinda like a new age Patra: she's successfully crossed over into the hip-hip culture like Patra did in 1994 when no other female dance-hall atists did keeping the company of and working with the likes of Tupac Shakur. Rihanna...Jay Z. They're are both super confident in their sexualities and fashion sense.


5 comments:

  1. I just absolutely love this post! The video is fire hot! I LOVE IT, and like you I completely dig that she's putting her background forward. She's def doing her thing in the vid, that Patra vid was a serious throwback, I haven't heard that in YYEEEEEEEEEEEEARS! nice one, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rihanna is truly a certified bad bitch... She could wear a paper bag and shut the place down... I have to say, when I heard the song, I didn't envision a video like this, though... Not sure what I think of it. Still, I love the fact that she went back to her Island roots for this one. It just saddens me that she will probably murder the song if she sings it live... Shame...

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! Funny and probably true!

    and hey R and M welcome to plaingirls. A special smooch for you for checking the spot....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ummmm, F and M i saw her do it live, and i'm afraid your predictions were right... :( gosh, just was not as good live, ohh and i am soooo feelin the vid for the song!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, Beautiful.